Zlatan Ibrahimović earned a healthy pay bump in 2019 and is now the highest-paid player in Major League Soccer history.
On Wednesday, the MLS Players Association released salaries of every player in the league, with Ibrahimović topping the list, earning $7.2m, breaking Sebastian Giovinco’s $7.115m earnings he brought in both in 2017 and 2018.
Giovinco’s former Toronto FC team-mate Michael Bradley came in second with $6.5m in total compensation, tied with Los Angeles Galaxy’s Giovani dos Santos.
The MLSPA revealed that the average player is earning $376,174 in base salary for the 2019 season and $417,643 in guaranteed compensation.
The minimum salary for senior players increased to $70,250, while reserves will rake in a minimum of $56,250.
1. Zlatan Ibrahimović (Los Angeles Galaxy): $7.2m
2. Michael Bradley (Toronto FC): $6.5m
2. Giovani dos Santos (Los Angeles Galaxy): $6.5m
4. Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC): $6.332m
5. Carlos Vela (LAFC): $6.3m
6. Bastian Schweinsteiger (Chicago Fire): $5.6m
7. Ignacio Piatti (Montreal Impact): $4.443m
8. Alejandro Pozuelo (Toronto FC): $3.8m
9. Wayne Rooney (D.C. United): $3.507m
10. Josef Martinez (Atlanta United): $3.058m