The highly rated Dutchman's future appears to have taken another twist
Barcelona are optimistic that Ajax starlet Frenkie de Jong will join them next summer.
That’s according to Catalan outlet Sport, who report that Barça have been in talks to sign De Jong for over a year and had €50m offer rejected for him last summer.
Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich are also understood to have approached the 21-year-old and last week, reports suggested he had decided to join PSG.
But it appears those rumours were spurious, and Sport say the Dutchman was more tempted to link up with Pep Guardiola in the Premier League.
His dream is to play at Camp Nou, however, and the Blaugrana are said to be confident that if they can come to an agreement with Ajax, De Jong will choose to join them over the other offers on the table in the summer.
De Jong’s signature is unlikely to come cheaply but Ajax know that the player is too good to stay with them for much longer and won’t hold him in the Dutch capital against his will.
Sport even believe that if De Jong indicates that his desire is to join Barcelona, the LaLiga giants could get him for slightly less than other clubs are willing to pay.
After Ajax’s 3-3 draw with Bayern Munich on Wednesday, the midfielder was asked if he had made a decision on his future.
“No, I definitely haven’t made a decision yet,” he told Dutch outlet Voetbalzone.
Nothing is signed, sealed and delivered yet, but it’s looking pretty good for Barça.