Bayern rally around heartbroken Sandro Wagner after Germany snub

Onefootball Dan Burke

Bayern Munich have offered their support to Sandro Wagner after the striker was left out of Germany’s 2018 World Cup squad on Tuesday.

Wagner was a shock omission from Joachim Löw’s 27-man provisional squad and photographs emerged of the 30-year-old in tears at Bayern’s training ground after the announcement had been made.

According to Bild, the former Hoffenheim man was comforted by his team-mates, while Bayern boss Jupp Heynckes is understood to have told him: “I don’t understand it. If it were up to me, you would have been a part of the squad.”

Wagner scored 15 goals in all competitions this season but missed out on a place in the World Cup squad to Freiburg forward Nils Petersen, who was the highest scoring German in the Bundesliga in 2017/18 but is yet to be capped at senior level.

Speaking after the announcement was made, Die Mannschaft boss Löw explained his decision.

“My job as national manager is unfortunately also to shatter dreams and make hard decisions,” said the 58-year-old.

“It is never against a player, but always in the interests of the team.

“Sandro showed his class when he was with us. He played for us with full commitment and he has a very, very good character. In the end, minor factors were decisive.”