Onefootball
Dan Burke

🎥 Arsène Wenger reveals the truth behind that Bayern Munich story


Arsène Wenger claims he was approached by Bayern Munich about becoming the club’s new coach, not the other way around.

Earlier this week, Wenger was heavily tipped to succeed Niko Kovac as Bayern’s new boss after the Croatian left by mutual consent following last weekend’s 5-1 defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt.

But on Thursday, the Bundesliga champions released a statement via German outlet Bild in which they announced they had rejected an offer from Wenger to take over at the Allianz Arena.

“Arsène Wenger has called Karl-Heinz Rummenigge on Wednesday afternoon and basically signalled interest in the coaching post at Bayern,” read the statement.

“Bayern appreciate Arsène Wenger very much for his work as a coach at Arsenal, but he is no option as a coach at FC Bayern Munich.”

However, in an extraordinary interview given to beIN SPORTs, Wenger has now disputed Bayern’s version of events.

The former Arsenal boss claims he received a phone call from Rummenigge after Kovac’s departure in which he was asked by the chairman if he would be interested in becoming the new coach.

Wenger then says he was asked for time to think about the proposal and said he would speak to Rummenigge after he returns from a trip to Doha on Sunday.

And it seems the 70-year-old Frenchman was then surprised to hear that Bayern had released a statement ruling him out of the running for the job.

Wenger then ends the interview by wishing Bayern well and effectively confirming he will not be the new coach.

Somebody is lying here, and we will leave it up to you to decide who it is.